The Internet has helped to implement technology with education since 1989 to access information in the modern classroom. The Association for Education Communications and Technology (AECT) states educational technology the study and ethics of practice to facilitate learning and improve performance by creating, using, and managing the right technological processes and resources. The use of the right technology in learning must be assessed based on its potential that EdTech is supporting creativity and critical thinking. To understand the feasibility of EduTech, it is better to identify the purpose of education and the application of technology in the right perspective.
Criteria to access the suitability of the technology in education for students
- Systems independence: It is related to the ability of technology-based devices to independently perform their duties with less or no facilities or supporting devices that could assist in their functions.
- Scene of modernity: Humans have the desire to feel important, and being perceived valuable. Therefore, implementing technology successfully brings users not just to meet the requirements but also it lets users feel a level of sophistication, which can enhance their social status.
- Individual technology vs. collective technology: Related to the social or cultural standards in which the proposed technology will operate.
- Technology cost: The cost of the device must be such that people can afford it.
- Risk factor: The development of new technology gives the possibility of success or failure. There are two kinds of risks that must be considered, namely, internal and external risks. Internal risk is the risk associated with the way the technology is in accordance with the local production system, external stores related to the support of the system needed to support the functioning of the technology is going well. These risks must be considered before and during the development of technological devices.
- The evolutionary capacity of technology: Wherever and whenever possible it is preferred that technology has design characteristics that allow for continued development.
- Single-purpose and multi-purpose technology: Technology devices have certain objectives that might be very useful for those who cannot afford to buy individually. In addition, the economic benefits of this approach also reduce the technical knowledge and skills needed to maintain the functioning of the device. Therefore, if possible, appropriate technology must be developed for various applications. The right technology might not exist. These criteria are not complete. All existing technologies do not have to be used "blindly". Learners need to do an evaluation, one of which can be done by evaluating the available technologies. Not all technologies and their interests must be followed. For example, the development of multimedia now that has exceeded interactive multimedia does not mean that it must be utilized in learning. What must be considered are the need and learning environment? Evaluation of learning technology, such as multimedia must be carried out to further research for its application in learning. The best approach to building appropriate technology is to balance criteria with needs.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Technology for students
- Creates a more engaged environment
- Incorporates different learning styles
- Improves collaboration
- Prepares children for the future
- Connects you with your students
- Makes learning more fun
- Personalize the education experience
- Instant access to knowledge
- Facilitates collaboration amongst peers
- Reflects the real world of work
- The presence of technology divert students
- Students can easily cheat using technology (online exam cheating or open-book exam)
- Using technology can make a few students detach from the classroom
- Some students may not be aware of reliable and unreliable resources
- Everyone cannot bear expenses of technology
- Few technologies can even replace teachers (oops!)
- Technology in the classroom could make medical issues for certain children
- Kids could lose time tracking while using gadgets
- Many classrooms could have restrictions to access technology/gadgets/websites
Integrating Educational Technology in school (EduTech)
If you are looking to bring technology into the classroom then there are numerous ways to do this. If your classroom has an interactive whiteboard and projector already, there are many online applications that can be used to facilitate the learning process.
Tools that you can use with whiteboards in the classroom:
- There are various interactive websites similar to BrainPOP that offer entertaining video clips and activities where students can participate in.
- A tool named Scholastic has a wide variety of whiteboard activities, from reading exercises for young students to interactive quizzes and walkthroughs.
- The use of various video conferencing tools like Skype can be used to connect with speakers outside of the classroom.
- Information can be displayed on attractive slides utilizing Microsoft PowerPoint or Apple’s Keynote.
Various classrooms can have clusters of 2-4 computers. This entails the opportunity to use other, more in-depth tools with your students:
- Tools like kid blog allow students to create and publish work in a connected space, encouraging peer-to-peer collaboration.
- Utilizing a tool like Edmodo or Moodle manage lesson content along with assessments and projects.
- Teach students to create their own videos using Animoto.
- Helping students to build websites using Wix or Weebly.
If you can have the access to whole computer rooms:
- Permit students to advance through lesson content independently utilizing ebooks and VoiceThreads.
- You can conduct live quizzes and polls to check to understand of the student with the tools like Poll Everywhere.
- The use of collaborative note-taking and information sharing with Evernote.
If students have access to personal laptops and notebooks, smartphones, then more tools can be utilized in the classroom:
- Permit students to create their own educational videos using the Animoto app
- Allow students to read ebooks independently
- Give access to course content using the Edmodo app
- Allow independent research
Setting classroom walls in Augmented, Virtual, or Alternative Reality
Many young people today prefer to pursue online courses as per their educational interests instead of forking out lakhs on degrees. MOOC platforms allow students to learn a wealth of information in less time than it takes to complete their degree. What might somehow make many years of debt and 3-5 years of learning could soon require little more than a laptop and internet connection.
The presentation of virtual reality headsets holds huge potential for the eventual future of learning. Beforehand, students had been limited to flat images in coursebooks – an outline of the heart, for example. Taking a gander at two-dimensional pictures of the organ gives students an understanding of how it might glance, in actuality. They can build up sound information on the internal activities of the heart, yet this information needs profundity and measurement. Presently, students can see the heart and other pictures in full using an augmented reality headset. They can scrutinize it from all angles. They can draw nearer, taking a look at every ventricle and vessel with a new sense of profundity and clearness. Their tour can be guided by voice assistance, a digital guide talking them through every detail. If students wish to set out on a field excursion to local biology, long periods of planning and preparation would have up to this point been fundamental. Presently, they can put a virtual reality headset over their eyes, and away they go. Walking around a virtual exhibition hall, students may soon be able to have the option to go to attend lectures hosted by digitized speakers and room freely, without leaving the study hall. The innovation of augmented reality gives an abundance of educational opportunities.
Final Words technology and education
MOOCs can be accessed remotely. Seminars and lectures would be accessed digitally that allow students to study from home sitting anywhere. This will allow families with a low household income to provide their children with degree-level education without spending a penny on accommodation and travel costs. Gone are the days of pen and paper! To engage students in formal education, teaching strategies will have to match the progression of the digital world.
From the explanation above, it can be concluded that with the rapid development of technology, teachers can use it as a means of teaching and learning so that teachers can also be more active and creative in developing their knowledge given to students. In addition, with the use of technological developments in a positive direction, it can also make students more active, creative, increase business, and interest in learning. In the learning process, the role of Educational Technology is not only as a medium or tool but also as a communication tool between educators and their students who interact and influence one another. The application of technology in the world of education is expected to make the learning process, in general, more efficient, more effective, and have a positive impact. Effective and efficient means that education should be able to achieve the desired goals by reducing costs, labor, and time spent.
Interactive whiteboards, computer clusters, and smartphones are fast becoming an integral feature of the modern classroom. These methods underpin the rapid revolutionization of teaching methods. How are you planning your kid’s education through technology? Believe me; the upcoming future growth of your child highly depends upon technology. Are you making your child’s or your career future proof?
Data science is the skill and technology that every industry is craving. Having a data science skillset in the current era means having a great demanding career option in your pocket. If you are also dreaming of becoming a data scientist then check Data Science training at Codegnan. We have trained hundreds of data scientists until now.
The salary of a data scientist in India ranges from INR 365k per annum to 500k per annum.
Our data science training will help you master data science analytics skills through real-world projects in multiple domains like Big Data, Data Science, and Machine Learning. The trending word of data science is waiting for you to be skilled.