Over the past two decades, an occurrence of the dominance of the programming is observed. Python has been of heightened interest over the past few years. With this blog, let us understand the number game of the top programming languages like Java, PHP, and Python.
About Java :
Java was developed in June 1991 initiated by James Gosling by Sun Microsystems. Sun Microsystems utilized Java for the first time as its core component and was first implemented in 1995. Java follows the rule of write once run anywhere (WORA) which provides no-cost run-times on popular platforms.
- Object-Oriented: In Java, everything is an Object. Java can be easily extended as a result of the Object model.
- Platform independent: Unlike languages such as C++, when Java is compiled, it is not compiled into platform-specific machine code, but rather into platform-independent byte code. This byte code can be distributed to any system over the web and is then interpreted by the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) on whichever platform it is being run.
- Simple: Java is designed to be easy to learn.
- Secure: With Java’s secure feature it allows for the development of virus-free, tamper-free systems. Authentication techniques are based on public-key encryption.
- Architectural-neutral: The Java compiler generates an architecture-neutral object file format which makes the compiled code executable on many processors, with the presence of a Java runtime system.
- Portable: Being architectural-neutral and having no implementation-dependent aspects makes Java portable. The Java compiler is written in ANSI C with a clean portability boundary which is a POSIX subset.
- Robust: Java makes an effort to eliminate error-prone situations by emphasizing mainly on compile-time error checking and runtime checking.
- Multithreaded: With Java’s multithreaded feature it is possible to write programs that can do many tasks simultaneously. This design feature allows developers to construct smoothly running interactive applications.
- Interpreted: Java byte code is translated to native machine instructions and is not stored anywhere. The development process is more rapid and analytical since the linking is an increment and lightweight process.
- High Performance: With the use of Just-In-Time compilers, Java enables high performance.
- Distributed: Java is designed for the distributed environment of the internet.
- Dynamic: Java is considered to be more dynamic than C++ since it is designed to adapt to an evolving environment. Java programs can carry an extensive amount of run-time information that can be used to verify and resolve access to objects on run-time.
Introduction of PHP:
PHP (recursive acronym for PHP – Hypertext Preprocessor) is another general-purpose scripting programming language that is used for web development. PHP is also called the “Personal Home Page” language. PHP was originally created by Rasmus Lerdorf in 1994 who was a Canadian programmer. PHP is used to develop dynamic and interactive webpages. It is basically a server-side scripting language that is embedded with HTML and is used to manage dynamic content, databases, session tracking, and building e-commerce websites.
- Open source and free
- The short learning curve as compared to other languages like JSP, ASP.Net, etc.
- The most popular web hosting server support
- Is a cost-effective choice of web developers
- Is a server-side scripting language
- PHP can handle form in order to gather data from files, save data to a file through various means like email for the to and fro of data
- Is a cross-platform that helps in deploying applications on different operating systems such as Windows, Linux, macOS, etc.
- PHP can help in the set and access cookies
- Is regularly updated to keep abreast with the latest technology trends
- PHP document is saved with extensions .phtml, .php3, .php4, .php5, .phps
Python Programming :
Python is known as an interpreted, high-level, general-purpose programming language. It was developed by Guido van Rossum and was first released in 1991. The best thing to being considered in the Python programming language is the ease to read and write because Python has an English-like structure. Python can be treated in a procedural manner, an object-oriented manner, or a functional manner. The syntax of Python allows Pythonists to write programs with fewer lines of code as compared to large code writings in other programming languages. Python relies on indentation, using whitespace, to define scope; such as the scope of loops, functions, and classes. Other programming languages often use curly-brackets for this purpose.
- Used to connect database systems that can read or modify files
- Used to handle big data and perform complex mathematics
- Used for rapid prototyping or production-ready software development
- Used for server-side web development, software development, mathematics, system scripting, etc.
- Python can work on different platforms like Windows, Mac, Linux, Rasberry Pi, etc.
- Python document is saved with extensions .py,.pyi,.pyc,.pyd,.pyo (prior to 3.5),.pyw,.pyz (since 3.5)
Let us understand the functional differences among Java, PHP, and Python?
Java is a programming language and computing platform first released by Sun Microsystems in 1995. There are loads of uses and websites that won't work except if you have Java introduced, and more are made each day. Java is quick, secure, and dependable. From workstations to datacenters, game consoles to logical supercomputers, phones to the Internet, Java is all over the place!
PHP is a fast, flexible, and pragmatic programming language. PHP powers everything from your blog to the most popular websites in the world.
Python is a general-purpose programming language created by Guido Van Rossum. Python is most praised for its elegant syntax and readable code, if you are just beginning your programming career python suits you best.
A great amount of available documentation
A great amount of APIs
Can be used anywhere – everywhere
Excellent SDK – JDK
The best glue on the web
Used by Facebook
Powerful web language
Flexibility, syntax, extensibility
Easy to use and learn
Best e-commerce development platform
Elegance in code
Great standard library
Easy to learn, read and use
It’s the way a programmer thinks
Fast and simple
Support machine learning, data science, and AI
Clear, easy, and powerful
Great for tooling
The same ‘NullPointerException’
A nightmare to write Java code
Java is a statistically, strongly, and strictly typed language
Easy to learn but good practices are hard to find
No routing system
Functionality is based upon versions
The poor syntax for anonymous functions
Not everything is an expression
Uber, Airbnb, Google, Pinterest, Netflix, Instagram
Facebook, Vox Media, Slack, Lyft
Uber, Google, Pinterest, Netflix, Instagram, Spotify
Docker, Intellij IDEA, Android SDK, Spring Boot, Sentry, Scala
Django, PyCharm, Flask, Sentry, CircleCI, Datadog
What are some of the alternatives to Java, PHP, and Python?
The c programming language is the basic or foundation of all programming languages
Abstract builds upon and extends the stable technology of Git to host and manage your work.
Go is expressive, concise, clean, and efficient. Its concurrency mechanisms make it easy to write programs that get the most out of multicore and networked machines, while its novel type system enables flexible and modular program construction. Go compiles quickly to machine code yet has the convenience of garbage collection and the power of run-time reflection. It's a fast, statically typed, compiled language that feels like a dynamically typed, interpreted language.
Scala is an acronym for “Scalable Language”. This means that Scala grows with you. You can play with it by typing one-line expressions and observing the results. But you can also rely on it for large mission-critical systems, as many companies, including Twitter, LinkedIn, or Intel does. To some, Scala feels like a scripting language. Its syntax is a concise and low ceremony; its types get out of the way because the compiler can infer them.
Kotlin is a statically typed programming language for the JVM, Android, and the browser, 100% interoperable with Java
How to decide to learn a new programming language?
Every developer or programming should ask four questions to himself/herself.
- What is the base salary for that language?
- Is it popular right now?
- What is the learning curve?
- Will it be popular in the foreseeable future?
Stats for Java, PHP, and Python for the past 5 years, today, and expectations for tomorrow
Java past, present, and future
Java is utilized by practically 90% of the Fortune 500 organizations, making it by a wide margin, one of the most well-known programming dialects. One reason that Java is so ground-breaking and famous is caught in its motto – "write once, run anywhere". Java's powerful as Java Virtual Machine or JVM makes this language good across stages.
Some of the famous professional ways with Java incorporate backend developer, embedded systems engineer, big data developer, and Android developer. The majority of the Android applications are written in Java and upheld by Google's API which really takes after JDK. In spite of the fact that Android utilizes an alternate JVM, the source is as yet composed Java. Java also has a huge collection of libraries and packages for handling computationally intensive tasks - everything from media manipulation to machine learning.
Java 11, the most recent Long-Term Support (LTS) discharge showed up recently. Java and every one of its usage are so prevalently utilized that you can promise it to be around for the following decade and past. For example, Google's Android API utilizes something which is like Java SDK for making Android applications. Server-side applications in the money-related industry and famous e-commerce platforms are based on the head of Spring MVC and other comparative Java stacks.
PHP past, present, and future
PHP is estimated to be installed on millions of web servers worldwide and estimated to be used by 244 million websites. Some of the analysts claim over 90% of the internet is enabled by PHP scripts. PHP is not at all dying if 79% of the web is using it! That’s the future of PHP. PHP is the predominant server-side scripting language on the Internet with over 79% deployment, and it continues to gain market share, at the expense of languages like “more serious languages” like ASP.NET, Java, Ruby, and others. PHP usage and the number of extensions continue to grow. The language itself continues to evolve and it is starting to find applications outside the Web-development field as a general-purpose scripting and embeddable language.
Python past, present, and future
A broadly useful language, Python has developed as one of the most famous and promising programming languages over the most recent couple of years. In the advanced scene, Python is utilized for making web applications, machine learning, building desktop apps, media tools, network servers, and more. Though, the real explanation for the amazing development of the language is on the grounds that engineers love to utilize it for web advancement and data science.
Python is additionally utilized by large players including Google, NASA among numerous others. The Python code is spotless, very much organized, and effectively meaningful. Web systems utilizing Python incorporate Django and Flask frameworks which have been picking up notoriety. The language is also well-furnished with great quality machine learning as well as data analysis libraries like Pandas, NumPy, and Scikit-learn.
Industry demand for the programming languages
Python can be utilized to structure the most refined applications and Machine Learning calculations that you have seen. It's additionally coding a significant part of the world's advancement, with respect to IoT handling and database the board. Python can likewise be utilized as a scaffold for a wide range of utilizations that depend on numerous dialects to be stumbled into various frameworks.
Added to that, since Python has variations of both C and Java, there is some adaptability offered there. CPython and Jython are normally utilized across different stages to give comparable degrees of efficiencies as the dialects referenced previously. It's an incredible method to plan a far-reaching program that depends on these center dialects. A great part of the advancement gave by the open-source language has been created by center tech organizations like Google and Facebook. These organizations have refined the language and created confounded plans that go off the center language.
Java, then again, is the ideal language to convey when working with customer-side encounters. It's the correct language to work with when creating applications and programming mix. Advances, for example, Blockchain and keen agreements are profiting by the standard selection of Java. Java has been in the market throughout recent decades, with as many as 3 billion gadgets utilizing the center language. From a prevalence angle, Java is in a one-of-a-kind spot. The market requires the contributions given by Java.
The importance of being multi-language oriented
For large-scale projects or even small integrations, becoming multi-language oriented helps in handling a more complicated process. The major challenge in the development community at this point is the lack of understanding of other languages. Exposure in the development sector is required the most now. When developers have an understanding of the objectives of each frame, it becomes simpler to execute. When a multi-language approach is taken, you can focus on the objectives of the code instead of which coding mechanism to adopt. All three programming languages – Java, PHP, and Python are designed for specific functionalities and can be leveraged across various parameters. These programming languages can be used extensively across domains and have a greater impact on the overall dynamic of their coding environment. Projects may call for both languages to be fully explored, and they’re some of the most desirable skill sets to have in upcoming years. Happy reading!
If you are planning to learn Python or looking for a lucrative career in Python or data science, then get back to us for the head to toe training in Python. We, at Codegnan, have the full-fledged Python MTA certification training module for the upcoming Pythonists where they will gain an understanding of Python and you will be able to solve logical problems quickly. You will understand the working of various Python libraries like SciPy, NumPy, Matplotlib, Lambda function, etc., and avail them to futureproof your career in various domains of Python like Data Science, Machine Learning, and Artificial Intelligence.
Do you know how much a Python developer earns in India? A Python developer in India earns around 427,293 INR to 1,150,000.
What are you waiting for then? A lucrative and futureproof career in Python is waiting for you! Get back to us, we’ll help you merge with other expert Pythonists.